I love this time of the year and the school year. The weather is improving (in my opinion!) and there is so much going on! With the holidays approaching there are so many learning opportunities to consider.
Here are a few learning activities to consider this month.
Changing of the seasons.
• Talk about what causes the seasons to change.
• Talk about how the wild animals prepare during the fall for the cold winter ahead.
• Talk about why the leaves change colors and fall from the trees.
In social studies:
Go ahead and explain the “holiday season”.
• You probably have already had a discussion with your child about whether or not you participate in Halloween and why.
• Continue the holiday theme with a historical account of Thanksgiving.
• Talk about how other places prepare, view, and celebrate the coming holidays.
There are a couple of ways to enrich science and social studies during this time of year because there is a lot of this season wrapped up in food! So measurements for baking are science, trying the new food from a different culture or celebration is social studies.
Don’t forget to include online science and social studies games to pack down all the great ideas you share with your kids!